First run policy questions

Hello! I got into the game a couple weeks ago when an online friend recommended it as a distraction as I pulled an all-nighter following a break-in attempt just in case they tried again. (Long story.) I love it! Thank you bloodrizer for making such an intricate game. I’ve been checking the wiki for some things and letting myself be surprised by others.

Here are my questions:

1. Long-ish term, would it be better to go with Knowledge Sharing or Cultural Exchange for my first run? I’m guessing Cultural Exchange since you can always reassign kittens to be scholars to increase the science rate, but it’s hard imagine worrying about my culture rate since it’s at +37.88/sec right now and it doesn’t seem to be used for as many things compared to science.

2. Carnivale or Extravagance? And more specifically: why does kitten arrival speed matter? Carnivale boosts arrival speed, but that doesn’t seem worth the cost of increasing luxury consumption so I was just going to go with Extravagance.

3. For Zebra Relations, does Appeasement or Bellicosity make for a smoother first run? I was going to go with Bellicosity since I’m almost to the point where I can manufacture titanium instead of having to trade for it.

Policy selections up until this point: Liberty, Republic, Diplomacy, Epicurianism, Mysticism, and Environmentalism.

Thank you!

@hangalho
link
fedilink
English
11Y
  1. For Zebra Relations, I choose neither until trading for titanium stops being a bottleneck, then bellicosity. You’re gonna need the resources from the other animals.
@bloodrizer
mod
link
fedilink
English
21Y
  1. Culture is mainly used for crafting manuscripts which could be a huge bottleneck, especially mid-game for a first run.
  2. Arrival speed mostly matter for lategame runs where you reset often.

https://wiki.kittensgame.com/en/guides-and-advice-and-stuff/monstrous-advice has some advice on early game policies that might or might not be highly opinionated. The idea of the best policies is always very subjective and vary between players, for the first run you will unlikely be bottlenecked by any choice regardless of what you pick.

@petrichor
creator
link
fedilink
English
11Y

Thank you for the reply! I’ll probably go with Cultural Exchange and Extravagance then.

Thanks for the link as well. There was something on there that I didn’t understand earlier: what does it mean when it says to cap a specific type of building? (“Rule 1: Always cap workshops.”) I understand what it means for a resource to be capped but not a building.

Also: this game rules. I’ve got a pretty short attention span and I’ve been really into the progression and unlocking new things since my friend recommended it to me. I pretty much either lose interest in something in a day or I get obsessed with it, and I think I know which one this is!

@bloodrizer
mod
link
fedilink
English
21Y

Capping buildings means building them until they are red (i.e till you are bottlenecked by Max storage or resource production takes too much time)

Create a post
  • 0 users online
  • 1 user / day
  • 3 users / week
  • 4 users / month
  • 4 users / 6 months
  • 13 subscribers
  • 1.04K Posts
  • 6.3K Comments
  • Modlog