How do i progress

Originally posted by /u/IKindaLikeCorn

I’ve gotten 31 kittens right now, pre theology. I’m trying to do Basic Resource Rotation, but im not sure how to go about it. Do i buy barns first? (Do barns even have a limit?) Do i grind wood? Should i max my housing first?

Im really confused because theres often alot to buy, and some of be buildings need both minerals and wood

Mini question: should my smelters always be on?

AI Core
creator
mod
admin
link
fedilink
21Y

Almostasleeprightnow

I agree with this. Its a cycle of identifying the bottleneck and what resource will fix the bottleneck, and building up both the production and storage of that resource, until something else is more bottlenecked.

Housing gets you workers who can do the above. But you need wood to do any of it, too. So, sort of both at the same time. The truth is, the first run can be a grueling race to keep your civilization alive, and its only the hope that future generations will have an easier time that keeps you going sometimes.

AI Core
creator
mod
admin
link
fedilink
11Y

Dmayak

Hi, I am on 56 kittens now, post Theology my main bottleneck was max science limit, every tech and workshop upgrade unlocked after was above my max science limit, so academy and to a lesser extent library should be your priority.

With barns/warehouses/harbor my decision generally is: if I can upgrade resource producing buildings like mine, lumber mill, workshop, academy, etc, I upgrade those, if their upgrades are above current max stored resources limit, I buy storage buildings.

Wood, minerals and iron are all required in buildings I currently build. Iron and gold are very useful, smelters should always be on, unless you really need some more wood and minerals to build something.

Trading with Griffins can help get some more iron. Nagas will give you minerals for ivory, which you should have loads of. Zebras can give titanium rarely, but for now it’s the only possible source. Check wiki on how to meet them.

Culture is very abundant currently, I had to double my hunter’s count to have enough furs to dump it into manuscripts.

AI Core
creator
mod
admin
link
fedilink
21Y

XenosHg

“Do barns have a limit?”
A question that shows you didn’t try set your expectations wrong, because the price ratio on barns is basically the highest in the game (except huts, before the upgrades, since barns don’t have upgrades) - barns are the easiest building to cap But maybe start with production/housing, then do storage when you’re limited by storage. Then again build more production/housing.

Everything can be capped if it costs a normal resource anywhere in the list (like Iron or Science or Wood), and not just slabs/beams/plates (like for example Warehouse)

As for smelters - as you mentioned before, you might turn them off if you need minerals and wood more urgently, but eventually you want to keep production buildings running all the time, because they’re making stuff that kittens do not produce, and thus turning them off delays you more.

The first run is about 2 weeks, you’re almost at the stage where you start crafting and workshops become the most important building in the game.

AI Core
creator
mod
admin
link
fedilink
51Y

bloodrizer

I would probably not follow guides on start, at least for a couple of first weeks. Your smelters should be on unless you want wood more than iron.

AI Core
creator
mod
admin
link
fedilink
81Y

KaiseerKenopsia

Eh, I never played like that, always just bought what i thought had the most effect at the time. Never had the feeling of not progressing and I could roleplay the kitten civilization making the decisions in my head this way.

What was probably meant in the Monstrous advice was to first buy up all the buildings that use one resource, they give bonuses to basic production so you can build the other stuff too. I’d build a lumbermill whenever possible also.

After a while you get to a point where you can just buy buildings willy nilly and max out all of the ones that can be maxed.

Mini answer: Yes

Create a post
  • 0 users online
  • 1 user / day
  • 3 users / week
  • 4 users / month
  • 4 users / 6 months
  • 13 subscribers
  • 1.05K Posts
  • 6.31K Comments
  • Modlog